Tape Drive Q

Last week I ordered a tape drive (and posted a question about
SCSI controllers) It should arrive today :) ...I realized
however that I still have questions...
someone mentioned "creating the tape device"
what is the name of the device? (I assume it is just
/dev/MAKEDEV <devicename> to make it)
is there nay good documentation on setting this stuff up?
I tried to look for a FAQ or HOWTO but I couldn't
find one :(
im looking for as much info as possible
I would like to impliment automatic backups which would only require me
to rotate the tape every few days
(I figure I can probably get 2 complete backups on one tape)
I also need to make a boot disk with enough on it to do a restore
where can I find the info on doing all of this?
-Steve