Re: X's with Matrox Millenium II

Hi,

It is amazing how often this question is asked on this List.  Perhaps a
FAQ should be created that explains how to use a Millenium II with Debian
1.3.1.  :)

>    I have a Matrox Millenium II video card and Linux Debian 1.3.1. I
>    would like to install the X environment but so far I haven't been able of
>    doing so.
>
>    Is it possible to achieve this with this release of Debian ?
>
> No, not AFAIK.

Actually it is possible but you won't be able to use Debian's packaging
system.  The software will have to be installed manually and will not be
monitored by dpkg/dselect.

>    If so, how can I do it ?
>
> You should upgrade to Debian 2.0 (hamm).  It has Mill II support in
> the SVGA server.

That isn't necessary.  Although it is more desirable.  What you will need
to do is download the XF86 3.3.2 binaries from any XFree86 mirror.  There
are two Linux directories: one for "ix86" and another for "glibc."  The
"ix86" directory has libc5 binaries and the "glibc" directory has libc6
binaries.  Since Debian 1.3.1 has libc5 you will want the binaries in the
"Linux_ix86" directory.

Take a look at the debian-user mailing list archive for March and April
for e-mails that I posted that have more details on how to install
XF86-3.3.2 binaries and what is necessary.  I'm just too lazy to type
everything again.  :)

-Ossama