Re: freshmeat repository

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Kevin Traas wrote:

> While I'm still running Debian (for years - and on dozens of machines), I've
> long considered switching to RedHat for the simple reason that RPM's seem to
> be more readily available (leading to the (possibly) mistaken view that
> RedHat is the more prevalent - and thus preferred - distribution out

No, it's just that rpm is prevalent. There are at least 2 or 3 other
distributions that use it.

> there.).  (Oh, and the few times I've tried using alien, etc. to install
> RPM's under Debian, the attempts have failed miserably - possibly
> user-related, but non-the-less....)

I never had much luck with that either.

I did switch to RedHat 5 since there are several commercial applications
that are packaged in rpm format and alien choked on them.

--

Stuart Krivis    stuart@krivis.com