Re: freshmeat repository

>> >From freshmeat page:
>> ----------
>> freshmeat RPM repository
>> As you might already know, freshmeat tries to keep up with
>> the latest software releases and builds RPM packages for
>> them. All this work is done by Obituary, feel free to mail him
>> questions or comments. A change invented with the move
>> of freshmeat to the new location includes SRPMS to be
>> available as well as the i386 binary packages.
>>
>> Note: We are still looking for volunteers to build debian packages. Feel
>> free to contact me for details.
>> ----------
>
>If somebody packages software and makes it conform to the Debian Policy,
>chances are that that person will already be or become an official Debian
>maintainer and then you'll find the packages in the official archive
>anyway.

Well, this certainly doesn't solve the problem, though, does it?  People
(like myself) looking to Freshmeat for the latest info on Linux are somewhat
dismayed that Debian is never mentioned.

While I'm still running Debian (for years - and on dozens of machines), I've
long considered switching to RedHat for the simple reason that RPM's seem to
be more readily available (leading to the (possibly) mistaken view that
RedHat is the more prevalent - and thus preferred - distribution out
there.).  (Oh, and the few times I've tried using alien, etc. to install
RPM's under Debian, the attempts have failed miserably - possibly
user-related, but non-the-less....)

So, why don't Debian maintainers inform Freshmeat when they build new
packages?  I'm sure Freshmeat doesn't have to actually store the files,
they'd be more than happy to provide links too them, though.  This would
solve *both* problems.... ???

Later,
Kevin