Re: Debian Linux and W95 coexist?

>> -- [ From: Herb Howe * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>>
>> Just received Debian Linux on the LSL CD which will be used on a shared
>> Pentium which already has Windows 95 installed. The installation
>> instructions look straight forward with one exception. It is not clear
>> whether the installation routine is designed to overwrite what is
>> already on the hard disk or if only the unused part of the disk will be
>> used. Could someone please point me to a discussion of this and/or more
>> basic information about disk partitioning? This must be an elementary
>> question but is not apparent in the FAQs.

 Linux and Windows can co-exist in same harddisk fine, they just need
 to be on different partitions. (as an exeption there is UMSDOS install
 on a fat partition, but it is somewhat crippled solution.)

 If you have free space (unpartitioned), then just make a swap-partition and
 linux-partition and install there. After that install lilo to choose which system
 to boot from.

 If you don't have unpartitioned space available, you can use 'fips' to shrink
 fat partitions (just make sure you read the instructions!).

	--j