Backup advice

Hello,

I would like to get some kind of backup device for my laptop (running
Debian linux).  A parallel Zip drive comes to mind, but I thought I'd ask
around first to find out if people have some advice on this.

I am primarily looking for hassle-free Debian operation and data security.
I seem to have read somewhere that it can take 2-3 minutes for a Zip drive
to fill up a 100M disk, that is fine with me, since I am thinking of only
backing up my user data (<100M) in the evenings.

Please cc me a copy of your reply, thanks,

Janos Csirik.