Network setup: local network with two external addresses

This is probably a FAQ:

I have two machines with a NIC in each, cabled together with thin Ethernet
cable.

1. Machine one [alpha] is currently configured as galactic.demon.co.uk
with a static IP of 158.158.63.??? [numbers changed to protect the innocent!]
NIC is currently more or less unconfigured. Connection is via pon and dial-up
ppp connection.

2. Machine two [beta] is currently configured as beta.localnet.net with IP
of 192.168.1.2 .  It could have an alternate identity as advicedisability.
demon.co.uk with a static IP of 158.???.???.??? [Can't remember this one
offhand].

What I want is:

Machine:   [1]                              [2]
486/100 32M RAM 2.2G disk                   PPro 200 64M RAM 2.1G disk
beta.localnet.net                           [alpha.localnet.net]
192.168.1.2                                 192.168.1.1
                         <=======>

[advicedisability.demon.co.uk]              galactic.demon.co.uk
158.152.1.28 (IIRC)                         158.152.63.217
(Printer)                                   (Modem for dial-up)

Where [] is the identity that isn't configured at the moment.

What I want to be able to do is to run an entirely local network [??.localnet]
until I dial up and go on line to the outside world. When I do this, I want
machine 2 to receive mail for each Demon machine: I also want the "local"
network to be hidden.

This almost certainly involves having IP Masquerading set up and possibly
firewalling. I can probably compile a kernel for each machine with the
correct options but I'm confused when it comes to all the rest.

Both machines are running hamm: machine 2 (the larger machine is running
a full installation: machine 1 is running from the installation disks
only so will need upgrading. I hope I can do this via ftp when
machine 2 is online.

Can anyone talk me through this in small steps: I'll report back/digest
this for a FAQ / installation disks.

Many thanks,

Andy