Re: Hamm installation problems

In message <01BD70A3.CA679C90.gouget@metaintegration.net>, Francois Gouget writ
es:

>	Hi,
>	For the partitionning now. I still only see two partitions. So,
>to tell you more about my disk, it' a Quantum SCSI VIKING II 9.1WLS.
>According to Linux fdisk the geometry is C=1110 H=255 S=63 so I get a
>warning that it has more than 1024 cylinders. But I don't see why it
>would prevent me from seing the logical partitions. Here is what fdisk
>tells me about the partitions:
>
>Device    Boot Begin Start   End   Blocks  Id System
>/dev/sda1  *      1     1     65   522081   6 DOS 16-bit >=32M
>/dev/sda2        66    66   1110  8393962+  f Unknown
>
>And cfdisk tells me:
>Name       Flags Part Type  FS Type              Label    Size
>/dev/sda1  Boot  Primary    DOS FAT16 (big)      [   ]   509.88
>/dev/sda2        Primary    Win95 Extended (LBA)        8197.23
i                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's your problem right here.  I'm not sure about this, but it seems logical.
Your extended partition seems to be a Windows95 Extended partition and not a
DOS extended partition.  Linux will happily support working with extended
partitions and the like, but I think it's having problems with the Win95
Extended Partition.  At this point I'd suggest either getting a copy of
Partition Magic, or, depending on how much important information you have
on that extended partition, blowing it away and recreating it using linux or
DOS fdisk, and not the Win95 fdisk.  Partition Magic would probably find a
way to fix it as it could probably change it to a regular DOS extended
partition without losing any of your data.  Anyways, good luck.

--
Ted Cabeen            http://fnord.rh.uchicago.edu           cabeen@netcom.com
Check Website or finger for PGP Public Key        secabeen@midway.uchicago.edu