Re: i'm not able to run mosaic

Alain Toussaint wrote:
  >i tried to run mosaic (i've just installed it) and it gave me this
  >error,does anyone know what it mean ??
  >
  >~$ Mosaic
  >Couldn't open display: (NULL)
  >Error: Can't open display:

mosaic runs under X and your DISPLAY environment variable (which tells X
which X server you are using) is empty.

If you are on your local console, it ought to be set automatically to `:0.0'
If you are on another machine, it should contain the hostname and display
number `host.domain:0.0'.  (If you want to run a program on one machine
to display on another, you have to set DISPLAY correctly.  For example, if
I am looking at machine linda's display, and want to run netscape on elsie,
I telnet to elsie (another machine on the local network) and do:

  DISPLAY=linda:0.0 netscape &

Now netscape runs on elsie, but puts its windows on linda's display,
subject to all permissions' being correctly set.  (NT, eat your heart out!))

The most likely reason for DISPLAY's being unset is that you have su'd
to another login name and lost your own environment.  In that case, you
would probably find that X would also refuse to run your program for
authorisation reasons.

Alternatively, you are trying to run mosaic in a non-X environment, which
I would not expect to be possible.  If you need a non-X web browser, use
lynx.

    Come to me, all you who labour and are heavily laden, and I will
    give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am
    meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls.
    For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.    (Matthew 11: 28-30)