Display problems using Debian text console

Hi!
I've installed debian 1.3 on my PC and everything seems to be working fine, except for a couple of problems:
1. Using text console, I keep getting irregular dots on my screen (it seems as if the ASCII characters are all messed up).
2. I can't activate X windows - after I've finished configuring it, I got a message: "MGA drawing device timeout".
I'm using a AMD K6 cpu, a matrox mystique 220 graphics card, and a DJ530 (from MAG Innovision) monitor.
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Ethan