Hamm installation problems

	Hi,

	I just got a new computer and I'm trying to install Debian on
it. The computer is a Gateway E3110-333 with an Adaptec 2940UW
controller and all SCSI devices.

I currently have two problems:

- I took the hamm install floppies but when I boot the root.bin floppy
I get the following error message:

> scsi0 : "Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI)
4.1.1/3.2.1
> scsi : 1 host.
> scsi0: Scanning channel A for devices.
> scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom 1 SCSI disk total.
> SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17836668 [8709 MB]
[8.7GB]
> Partition check:
>  sda: sda1 sda2
> [MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 0,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,bmap]
> [me=0x0,cs=0,#f=0,fs=0,fl=0,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,ts=0,ls=0,rc=0,fc=
4294967295]
> Transaction blocks size = 521

That's when I start the kernel using "loadlin linux root=/dev/ram
initrd=root.bin". But I get the same error message about the device
"03:01" if I boot from a floppy (with "VFS: Cannot open root device
03:01" on the line just before).
The kernel version reads "2.0.33 (root@debian.org) #2 (gcc 2.7...)Wed
Apr 1 04:20:21 CST 1998"
The Adaptec BIOS version reads "Adaptec AHA-2940 Ultra/Ultra W SCSI
BIOS v1.32S10"
It seems to be recognised. At least the console correctly lists the
SCSI hard drive, CD-ROM and tape unit where the "..." are above.
Now if I use the old Debian 1.2 rescue floppy (kernel 2.0.27) I can
boot and access my hard drive (e.g. I can mount /dev/sda1 and read
it).

- The second problem now. When I boot with the old Debian 1.2 floppy I
get to the point where I must partition my hard disk. I already made
partitions for Linux. In fact I know my hard disk has a small (500MB)
"Primary" partition and a big (8.2GB) extended partition in which I
have partitions for Linux. The problem is that (c)fdisk sees the
second partition as "Primary" with an "Unknown (0F)" file system.
How do I get to see my "extended" partitions ? What I did is that I
installed Win95 and NT4.0 Enterprise Server on this machine. I don't
remember what I used to partition the disk, probably dos fdisk but
maybe I later modified it with NT4.0 fdisk at installation time.

- (Not really a problem in itself) Is there a way to get a dump of the
messages that print on the screen at boot time or at least slow down
the scrolling so that I have more time to read them/write them down ?

Francois