Re: Bash help

On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 11:23:13AM -0400, BRIAN SCHRAMM wrote:
>      I am trying to tell if a program is passing back an error in a Bash
>      script.  I would like to branch on receipt of the error to a wait
>      statement that will give me about 20 seconds and then retry.
>
>      My trouble is I cannot remember how to detect the error and how to
>      make the shell wait a definite amount of time.  Can anyone help me?

Arrgh - your headers are messed up!
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:23:13 -0400
To: "        -         \(052\)tanclug-list\(a\)redhat.com"
<tanclug-list@redhat.com>,
        "        -         \(052\)debian-user\(a\)lists.debian.org"
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>

$? is the return status of the most recent process (which I'm not using),
: is true.

while :; do
  command && break
  sleep 20
done

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com,  http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers