Re: Linux cannot find NE-2000 network card

(The subject line is a bit misleading, don't you think?)

Hans> loading device 'eth0'...
Hans> eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address 00 a0 24 e7 06 66, IRQ 3
Hans> 3c509.c:1.07 6/15/95 becker@csedis.gsfc.nasa.gov

Hans> But when I boot the machine it says: Network is unreachable

Is your network actually connected through the 10baseT port on the
card?

With 3c509 cards I have often had to start up a 3com config program
and set them "by hand" to BNC instead of "auto-detect" (and I switch
off Plug and Play while I am at it). I have always used the DOS
3com509 config program that comes with the cards (probably available
from the 3com web site too), but I have a vague memory of somebody
mentioning a Linux tool to do the job.

Hope this helps.

--

  Gilbert Laycock                 email:          gtl1@mcs.le.ac.uk