Re: COMPROMISE? PINE Debian Package

On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 04:41:15PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> > I believe the package maintainer has commented on this thread already and
> > seems at least interested in the prospect of a pine-src package which
> > would probably end up in slink and hamm-updates.  This may not be the
> > simplest solution, but the UoW doesn't want us to have the simple
> > solution.
>
> Would this work:
>
> Put the source and diff on the site and make a -src package to build a
> .deb as is currently done with qmail.

This sounds reasonable.

> At the same time, submit the .diff to UofW for approval and AFTER
> approval, put a binary in the archive with a provisional agreement that
> should an emergency security issue arise, debian could TEMPORARILLY
> replace the binary with an emergency secured binary pending the
> disposition of the security changes.
>
> In other words, under most circumstances, the binary would not change
> until approved by UofW except under emergency circumstances.

Not sure UofW is going to like that, or even that the maintainer will like
it.  The above -src package is probably all that is REALLY needed to
satisfy what they want (no potential back-doors in the binaries) so it
might not be needed for that standpoint.

For the point of the approval of patches to make a binary image, it's
almost a non-issue with the src package because the src package will
always be preferred for reasons of the bugs fixed and features added.  If
you're worried about the maintainer putting in a back door, you probably
should not be using a linux dist and should be instead building everything
from source..

And it can be made almost idiotproof to compile pine-src, really it can..