Re: PINE Debian Package

On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 09:48:17PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > Should we get a petition and a nice request letter going?  :-)
>
> RMS has tried it several times, I think, without any success.
> Do you really think we would succeed? Any special reason why they would
> hear us now but not before?

Because the GPL's idea of "free" is not the same as DFSG's idea?

Perhaps it would become DFSG if we could convince them to allow us to have
a modded package if was marked as altered, listed in a way suitable to
them how it was altered, and did not interfere with the version numbering
of pine?  ie, pine 3.96L+debian-7 or something?  If this is done and the
license were to say that derived works must keep the same license, it
would then not have any restrictions the GPL and BSD licenses do not
impose, but it would still protect them from having to deal with non-
pristine version issues.

This would make EVERYONE'S life a little easier and the simplest mail
reader for a shell becomes again simpler to install---and part of the base
package.