Re: Linux + Win95 + Win NT on one HD

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 Philipp.Kirsch@sey.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install three OSs on one HD: Win 95, Win NT and Linux. I was
> partially succesfull; th eonly problem at the moment is, that I can't boot
> linux without a boot floppy.
>
> Here is what I did:
> 1. Partition my hard disk ( 3GB) with fdisk (the DOS program):
>  - hda1 Primary Bootable for Win 95 (as c:\) (1.6 B)
> - hda2 as Extended with logical partitions:
> - hda5 logical for Win NT (as d:\) (0.8 GB)
> 2. Partition my hard disk with the debian partition program
> - hda6 as / (0.12 GB)
> - hda7 as swap (0.034 GB)
> - hda8 as /usr (0.53 GB)
> 3. Installed the OSs (it really worked!)
> 4. Used the NT boot loader as primary OS loader
> 5. Patched this loader as described in the Linux and Win NT mini HowTo, but
> it didn't work

I am in the process of trying to do what you are doing:
   I created 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition using
       fdisk from Linux; I marked the 3 primary partitions as MSDOS, and
       extended with ext2. Linux resides on a second hard disk
       and I am using a floppy and LILO to boot.
   Installed DOS 6.2 on a the primary partitions from floppy distribution
       disk set; may be able to get away with formatting the the primary
       partitions with a bootup disk and sys c:.
   I am able to boot up on any of the primary partitions by
       using fdisk (dos or linux) to set partition 1, 2, or 3 active
      and pressing CTL-ALT-DEL

I hope to be able
     with partition 1 active I hope to be able to install and run NT
        on C:
     With partition 2 active I hope to be able to install and run
        NT on D:
     use LILO installed on hda2 or hda3 to boot hda1, or hda2
     I think that hda2 and hda3 must begin in first 1K cylinders.
     No problem on my hda1 since it is 512 Meg, but larger drives
     could present a problem

Needless to say one should have all data backed up, and be willing
     to reformat often.

I think it should work, but haven't finished yet. Maybe there
will be major problems.

King Leew