Re: Fonts in X [Off Topic]

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:

> Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella wrote:
>
> > Remco Blaakmeer writes:
> >
> > > If nobody objects to it, I'll file bug reports for the following
> > > annoyances I have encountered when X is misconfigured:
>
> I don't know if I agree witha bug report against X...as the keyword there is
> "misconfigured"...although you could
> look at that as a bug in xdm but...
> there is a such thing as misconfigured...reminds me of when I was
> a tottal linux newbie I was running with RedHat in runlevel 5 (init starts XDM
> on startup)
> and I recompiled my kernel for the first time...forgot to compile in
> a mouse driver.... xdm didn't like that at all...
> needed to use a kernel boot parameter tofix it

Yes, that's exactly my point. If you have accidentally or ignorantly
misconfigured X (or haven't configured it at all, for that matter) and
start xdm, your computer becomes inaccessible without either remote access
or a reboot with some not-guessable kernel parameters. This is VERY
confusing for newbies, who will really fast think something like "well,
this whole Linux thing obviously doesn't work for me, so I'll just turn it
off and return to Windows". Now, that is one thing we don't want, do we?

Remco