Re: PINE Debian Package

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Colin Telmer wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Colin Telmer wrote:
> > > I have been using pine for years (no nfs spool) and have never ever
> > > experienceed corruption and mail loss due to pine.
> >
> > FWIW, I used pine for years, and experienced frequent data loss. (I use mutt
> > now.)
>
> Maybe I have too but just haven't noticed:) Seriously, how does this
> manifest itself? Cheers, Colin.

I used pine for a long while and had no problems. The configuration was
pcpine (from Washington) on W3.1 with Netmanage Newt for TCP, and Debian
1.x as clients, and the server was/is (uname -a) SunOS tyne 5.4
Generic_101945-50 sun4m sparc which used to run the IMAP2bis or whatever
it was called.

Then they changed the imapd server to IMAP4rev1 and that's when the
trouble started. There are two symptoms and I don't know if they're related
but I think they must be. The first is that the client sees emails with
"bogus date 0 jan 1970 in headers" or some such message. The second is
that IMAP pseudo-headers have overwritten the start of the real emails.
I've here reduced the number of paragraphs from eight to two to save space,
and put in x's:

--8<--

xFrom MAILER-DAEMON Mon Mar 30 12:40:46 1998
xDate: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:40:46 +0100 (BST)
xFrom: Mail System Internal Data <MAILER-DAEMON@tyne>
xSubject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA
xX-IMAP: 0890661741 0000000825
xStatus: RO
xThis text is part of the internal format of your mail folder, and is not
xa real message.  It is created automatically by the mail system software.
xIf deleted, important folder data will be lost, and it will be re-created
xwith the data reset to initial values.
xStatus: O                   \
xX-Status:                   |
xX-Keywords:
xX-UID: 0
x                            | these should
x                            | not be here
xStatus: O
xX-Status:
xX-Keywords:                 |
xX-UID: 0                    /