Re: PINE Debian Package

> On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 11:06:47PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> > As for the source package thing, if the binary generated by the user is
> > exactly the same as the binary that would be provided in a .deb, what is
> > the point?  It seems like a lot of extra work that changes absolutely
> > nothing. Maybe I am a Rebel Without a Clue on this but it sure seems
> > like a classic case of cranial rectosis to me.
>
> As I understand it, the license forbids distribution of a modified
> source or binary, but allows the distribution of patch files.

Would it then even be possible to distribute binary patches?  So that
you would have a pine-bare_x.y.deb containing the `approved' binary,
and a pine-patch_x.y.deb containg the patch.  Then pine-bare_x.y.deb
would `recommend' (strongly :)) pine-patch_x.y.deb.  On installation
pine-patch_x.y.deb would patch the `approved' binary into the `debian'
binary.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032