Re: ISP setup with IP Masquerading

Paul Miller wrote:

> I'm trying to setup a dialup ppp server using only 1 real internet IP.  Is
> this currently possible using Linux?

Yes it is. It has its limitations but it can be done.

> /etc/hosts:
>
> /var/named/db.domain.net:
>
> /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1:
> serv:ppp1-serv
> /etc/ppp/options.ttyS2:
> serv:ppp2-serv
>
> /etc/ipmasq.conf:
>
> (192.168.100.* is the local network on eth1)
>
> Although this configuration may look correct, it is not.  Here's a clip of
> my syslog:
>
> kernel: CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
> kernel: PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
> kernel: PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
> kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
> kernel: registered device ppp0
> pppd[316]: pppd 2.3.3 started by LOGIN, uid 0
> pppd[316]: Using interface ppp0
> pppd[316]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
> pppd[316]: PAP authentication failure for paul
> pppd[316]: Connection terminated.
> pppd[316]: Exit.
>
> I _DID_ enter the correct password!

It looks lik epap authentication is where the problem lieshave you tried it any
other ways?
I could never get pap working with an ISP I wanted to connect too once and had
to drop them because i was never able to connect.
all of the files above look fine (as far as I recognize them anyway)
I would go over the PPP option son both boxes and particularly the pap
parts witha fine toothed comb
is it possible to disable all authentications (screw passwords just get
connected)
make sure the rest of the setup works and sthen work on authentication
-Steve

> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Paul
>
> --

-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4
and Linux =-
replacement: (ok I admit...I am bored..its a slow day at work)
[sjc@debian ~]$fortune -o
Anything more than 3 shakes is for fun.