LaTeX installation

Hi,

I finally decided to try lerning doing typesetting with LaTeX.

I had already installed tetex-packages when I was installing linux, but
when I tried to use LaTeX it comlained about missing files.

I reinstalled tetex-packages using dselect, but even during installation
some files were missing.
The packages I installed (or I tried to install:-) were tetex-base0.4pl6-5,
tetex-bin0.4ps-6-8, and tetex-extras0.4ps6-4.

>From the installation error-file (from dpkg) obviosly some files are
missing, like texmf.cnf, language.dat...
I tried searching for those files but they are not on my hard drive.
Perhaps all those files get installed with some other package, but dselect
didn't show any dependencies.

Anybody knows what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help in advance
Luka

The error output from installation of tetexbase, tetexbin, and tetexextra
with dpkg/dselect:

kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
texhash: global Kpathsea configurarion file texmf.cnf not found.

Please set the environment variable TETEXDIR or TEXMFCNF correctly.
For details see the teTeX and the Kpathsea manual
kpsetool: language.dat not found.
kpsetool: modes.mf not found.
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
Error opening terminal: generic.
/usr/bin/texconfig: /tmp/texconf8717/logfile: No such file or directory
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
texhash: global Kpathsea configurarion file texmf.cnf not found.

Please set the environment variable TETEXDIR or TEXMFCNF correctly.
For details see the teTeX and the Kpathsea manual
kpsetool: language.dat not found.
kpsetool: modes.mf not found.
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
config_replace: file '^VARFONTS' not found.
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
texhash: global Kpathsea configurarion file texmf.cnf not found.

Please set the environment variable TETEXDIR or TEXMFCNF correctly.
For details see the teTeX and the Kpathsea manual
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
texhash: global Kpathsea configurarion file texmf.cnf not found.

Please set the environment variable TETEXDIR or TEXMFCNF correctly.
For details see the teTeX and the Kpathsea manual
kpsetool: language.dat not found.
kpsetool: modes.mf not found.
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
/usr/bin/texconfig: cd: /web2c: No such file or directory
Error opening terminal: generic.
/usr/bin/texconfig: /tmp/texconf8793/logfile: No such file or directory
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
texhash: global Kpathsea configurarion file texmf.cnf not found.

Please set the environment variable TETEXDIR or TEXMFCNF correctly.
For details see the teTeX and the Kpathsea manual
kpsetool: language.dat not found.
kpsetool: modes.mf not found.
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
Error opening terminal: generic.
/usr/bin/texconfig: /tmp/texconf8833/logfile: No such file or directory
[...]

/usr/bin/texconfig: /tmp/texconf8901/logfile: No such file or directory
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
texhash: global Kpathsea configurarion file texmf.cnf not found.

Please set the environment variable TETEXDIR or TEXMFCNF correctly.
For details see the teTeX and the Kpathsea manual
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
texhash: global Kpathsea configurarion file texmf.cnf not found.

Please set the environment variable TETEXDIR or TEXMFCNF correctly.
For details see the teTeX and the Kpathsea manual
kpsetool: language.dat not found.
kpsetool: modes.mf not found.
kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
/usr/bin/texconfig: cd: /web2c: No such file or directory
Error opening terminal: generic.
/usr/bin/texconfig: /tmp/texconf8946/logfile: No such file or directory