Re: tob deletes system files - let's kill it

<complaints about text omissions here>

> ... then you should be happy as you just participated in what lead to
> Infoworld giving the award for 'Best Support in 1997' to all of us -- the
> Linux communitty -- by providing the feedback and support needed to improve
> Linux (Debian in this case).

Yes, and I am in complete agreement with you that as a rule the Linux
community does indeed constitute the Best Support in 1997, or for that matter
1998, etc...  However, I would have to consider this particular case an
exception to the rule, the initial and continuing response I got was far from
professional, or even friendly for that matter.

I salute you for giving back to the Linux community by maintaining a Debian
package. I would suggest that being in a software support position though,
whether free software or commercial, involves having
respect for your users.  I would definintely not consider launching personal
attacks against your users
on public mailing lists as you have done (see the "it is obvious to everybody
but you" line below), "software suppport".

< more text cut here >

>   Tim> Not being a Debian developer, I have no way of knowing that uploading
>   Tim> tob_0.14-5 implies tob_0.14-4 is "gone, vanished, nothing left". <some of my text cut here>
>
> Again, I recommend that you simply take things a little easier and try to
> learn how Debian works. It is obvious to everybody but you that uploading a
> version 1.2-4 of a package replaces version 1.2-3 of the same package.

Well, as a debian user it is obvious to me that downloading and installing a
more recent version of
a package replaces a previous version of that package.  As far as developers
uploading packages, you are exactly right, it was not obvious to me what the
process is, that is why I asked <as omitted above>.

> Regards,
>
> Dirk

I am still a firm believer that Bebian is by far the best Linux distribution,
and will continue to use and recommend it. I submit that the debian-user list
(including myself, and I presume you) is no longer getting anything useful out
of this thread, let's kill it.  If you must continue posting, go ahead, as for
me, I'm done.

Good luck,

- Tim