Re: Telnet Proxy anyone?

Adrian Bridgett <adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 04:39:23PM +1200, Richard L Shepherd wrote:
> > Has anyone heard of a telnet-proxy package (especially for linux
> > and Debian of course)?
> >
> > We have some people who have (and want to keep) their subnet
> > blocked for offsite access (so they do all their WWW browsing via
> > a WWWcache which can then be billed for).  I was wondering if
> > there is something we can do like this for telnet.  Any ideas?
>
> There is no such thing as telnet-proxy.  What you are after is SOCKS
> - socks4 is packaged already (I'm working on v5, but most people
> don't need that - *I* don't need it either!)

Are you sure there is none?  I recently saw a computer (one of the
firewall machines) where I get a telnet-like prompt when I did telnet
to the machine.  Then I issue a "open <host> <port>" command and have
a telnet session across our firewall.

Unfortunately, I don't know which program this is (maybe I can tell
next week).  But I know that this machine is a linux system running
one of the outer proxies (unless the telnet port is forwarded by a
filtering firewall to an other machine).

        Torsten