Re: New imap saves all mail to $HOME/mbox ????

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Tim Sailer wrote:

> > I use fetchmail and I do not think I upgraded it recently, although I
> > might be wrong. This happens even if I telnet to port 143 and just check
> > how many messages I have. Besides, imap server still counts those in mbox
> > as messages. It looks like it concatenates mbox and /var/spool/mail/$USER
> > when showing user's INBOX. That's why I think it's impa problem, not
> > client problem.
>
> Nutscrape takes a look at every file/directory in your home dir and
> treats it
> as a mailbox.. :(

I do not think I mentioned Netscape anywhere in my email and that's
because I DO NOT USE it for email. I'm saying that even if I just telnet
to port 143 and issue SELECT INBOX it shows not only messages in
/var/spool/mail/$USER but also in $HOME/mbox, appending those in
/var/spool/mail/$USER to those in $HOME/mbox.

Here's a sample of a what is happening:

physlab:~$ mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
"/var/spool/mail/stalex": 1 message 1 new
>N  1 stalex                Wed Apr 22 14:01  18/451   "Test"
& x
physlab:~$ telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK physlab.sci.ccny.cuny.edu IMAP4rev1 v10.210 server ready
a001 login stalex ******* < -- password deleted
a001 OK LOGIN completed
a002 select inbox
* 47 EXISTS
* 48 EXISTS
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 893187849] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 49] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\* \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)]
Permanent flags
* OK [UNSEEN 48] 48 is first unseen message in /home/grad/stalex/mbox
* 1 RECENT
a002 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed
a003 logout
* BYE physlab.sci.ccny.cuny.edu IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
a003 OK LOGOUT completed
Connection closed by foreign host.
physlab:~$ mail
No mail for stalex
physlab:~$

It is clearly a suddenly changed IMAP behavior.
Why is the change and how to get back the old behavior.

  =
 ===			      mailto:stalex@physlab.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
=====			      http://physlab.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~stalex
  |______ Alexander Stavitsky