Re: Fonts in X [Off Topic]

Remco Blaakmeer writes:

> You can place the fonts in a subdirectory of /var/ttfonts . You can use
> any name for that subdirectory. Where you get the fonts is another issue.
> It is probably illegal to use the fonts that come with Windows.

Why? If you bought a Windows license, you bought a license for the
Windows components, I think.

Not being legal to use Windows fonts in Linux would be like being
illegal to buy Coke and using the jar to carry Oranje Juice...

Also, if you bought any program that comes with true type fonts (like
Corel Draw), you could use them also!

> You could get yourself a CD with a few hundred shareware/freeware
> fonts, but most of these are very poorly licensed.

What do you mean by very poorly licensed?

> xfstt isn't yet automatically started at boot time. To start it
> manually, do:

> # xfstt &

> ... as root.

> To let the X server use the fonts, you can do:

> $ xset fp+ tcp/localhost:7100

Thanks for the clues! I finally could see some nice fonts in
Netscape...

--
Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella                 Product Engineer
zorzella@conexware.com          http://www.conexware.com