The effects of backspace and delete are reversed in vim

An annoying feature of vim is that the effects of backspace and of delete
are reversed compared to any other vi. It is particularly annoying because
backspace will delete existing text, including newlines, when it is in input
mode.

How can I put these effects back to normal, please?

Should this be regarded as a bug?

Versions: vim         5.0-0.2
          libc6       2.0.7pre1-4
          ncurses3.4  1.9.9g-8
          linux       2.0.33

    Come to me, all you who labour and are heavily laden, and I will
    give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am
    meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls.
    For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.    (Matthew 11: 28-30)