Re: Tape Orientated Backup Bug

> I use tob_0.14-2.deb without problems
>
> I create a dummy directory, copy some dummy files to it, go to it,
> become root and (mis)run
>
> tob check
>
> It behaves the same as tob without options, all the tob options are
> displayed, and the files are there

I ran the same test with tob_0.14-4, only as shown in the script log below,
tob does remove inappropriate files.  The problem is actual in the "cleanup
()" subroutine.  There is a line
"$RM -f $TMPLIST* $FILELIST*", only $TMPLIST and $FILELIST do not get set, so
you end up with a
"rm -f *".

I did submit a debian bug report (#21412). The initial reply I got from the
package maintainer is that
there is no way this could have removed my files, and the bug report was
closed.  I have since been informed that a workaround has been implemented,
and that tob_0.14-5 should propagate to the Debian mirrors shortly.

Note after the last ls command the test files are no longer there. Also note
the
"/sbin/tob: tempfile: command not found"
messages about 13 lines down from the top of the script log.

***------------------------ Start script----------------------- ***
*
[root@earth]<113> dpkg --list '*tob*'
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  tob             0.14-4         Small yet powerful program for tape oriented
[root@earth]<114> pwd
/tmp/testtob
[root@earth]<115> ls -l
total 0
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 21 20:29 testfile.txt
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 21 20:29 testfile2.txt
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Apr 21 20:29 testfile3.txt
[root@earth]<116> /sbin/tob
/sbin/tob: tempfile: command not found
/sbin/tob: tempfile: command not found

Ok, got resource /etc/tob/tob.rc.
This is the tob script.

ICCE Tape Oriented Backup Utility 0.14
Copyright (c) Karel Kubat / ICCE 1994,1995. All rights reserved.
Another MegaHard production!

tob by Karel Kubat (karel@icce.rug.nl).

Usage: tob [-rc rcfile] -action [arguments]
Where: (names in <> must be supplied, names in [] are optional):
    -rc <rcfile>         : use alternate resource file <rcfile>
                           (must be FIRST argument)

    -verbose             : list contents of backup device (use
                           "tob -verbose | grep file" to list only some
                           files)
<snip...>

Cleaning up.
Bye.