Re: loading the Debian kernel

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 11:18:08PM -0400, Ron Nichols wrote:
> I have a PB Legend 316SX PC (386SX processor, 6M RAM + 3M extended RAM,
> 41M hd) upon which I am trying to install linux.
> Everything has been wiped from the hard drive, including the
>operating system.  I am having trouble booting from the
> Debian rescue disk.  Here's what happens:

Uh, oh, will not be a lot of fun, but here you go...

> It says     Loading ...      then a bunch of binary fills the
> screen for awhile then it stops and says
>
> I have tried the following:
>      at the boot: prompt, I type in linux floppy0 (having my low
>      memory root disk ready and the rescue disk in the drive)
>      and I get the same message

This is the right way.

>      using fdisk, I repartitioned my hd for minimum (1M) allocated for DOS (the dos fdisk won't allow partitions for anything but DOS), leaving the other 40M unpartitioned and I got the same message.

not necessary.

>      at the boot: prompt, I've tried typing just floppy0 with the rescue disk in (same message) and with the lowmemroot disk in (can't find kernel is the message then).
>      I have tried making another rescue disk, only to get the same results.

make just another and one more. Sometimes rawrite has problems writing the
disk reliable, so you should try at least four or five different disks.
Try also to write the disk on another computer.

> I have also tried several things that were silly out of desperation.  Please help me;  I am anxious to get linux on line to try it out and customize it as much as my little 40M will allow.

I hope you will be able to afford a better system, as Linux will be much
more fun then!

Marcus