Re: Linux Installation

>> Dear Sir/Madam,
>>
>> I am a Linux novice who would like to get started with Debian Linux.  I
>> currently have a Zenith Data Systems 486 33MHz SX with 16Mb of RAM, a 125Mb
>> Hard Drive, a 1.44Mb floppy, and a VGA display.  I have successfully
>> installed the base system, unfortunately I would like to run X-window for
>> Linux. I doubt that it would work on only a 125Mb hard drive, and I don't
>> even have a CD-ROM.  It would be nice if someone could steer me towards an
>> inexpensive option for the minimum hardware required to run X. I have no
>> real experience with UNIX or Linux and would like to use this system for a
>> learning platform.  I have attempted to install a IDE compatable CD-ROM on
>> a Plug-and-Play compatable sound card but have not been able to get this
>> set-up to detected or used by Linux.  Could you offer any suggestions?
>
>you need a bigger hard disk,i use nearly the same computer ( 486/DX2 50
>mhz,16 MB ram,1.7 GIG hard disk,bare-bone vga) and yes i use X (on 16
>color except when running xquake,but even with this low end system,Star
>Office run fine),about your CD,does your hard disk is IDE,if yes,plug the
>CD on the same interface as the hard disk and put the jumper (if there's
>one) on the slave setting (a manual help there but on my CD unit,it's
>clearly marked).
>

>> Might it be a better idea to aquire a new/er computer on which to install
>> Linux.  Could you please tell me the hardware which would keep me within a
>> ~$500 budget ( I am a high school student with limited funds).  Even a 386
>> type computer would be okay, if it works with Linux, but where could I find
>> parts?  I have a 14" VGA monitor which I'm planning to use with this
>> system. My main problem is picking devices which are comptable with Linux,
>> what would you recommend?  Please offer any help you can.
>
>for a 500$ budget,you can buy a texas size hard disk (say in the 4 to 6
>GIG range).
>
>Alain

He's right, definitely a new hard drive. I installed Debian on a 100meg
partition to test it out, and have since installed XWindows and KDE. Now
I want to start adding some proper applications, and run out of room.
However, I think a 4-6 gig is a bit overkill - just 1 gig would probably
sort you out with all the Linux apps your'll need.

Graham Pople (graham@jalna.demon.co.uk)
SNES emulators at Emulation One (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/index.htm)
All emulators at E1 Newsletter (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/e1news.htm)