Re: newbie boot ?

On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 05:25:06AM -0700, Gil Nielsen wrote:
> Hi, Am real new to this. Just installed debian base system from floppys. it
> went fine. I am booting with the custom floppy and it hangs at "md driver
> 0.35 MAX-MD-Dev=4 MAX-REAL=8" for about 10 min. before it continues
> booting. Is there a way to delete this line? or should'nt I? Thanks

(I may be mistaken, but) this line isn't actually caused by the MD driver,
which is not a hardware driver but a software device. The device after
MD is the one that hangs.  The best solution is to recompile the kernel
with just the devices you need. Also, if the device immediately after MD
tells you what it is an what I/O it is looking at, you could reserve
it at the LILO prompt (then in lilo.conf) so that the device isn't
allowed to probe.

Hamish