Permissions on /dev/ttyS1 (Was: Re: debian 1.3.1 troubles)

     I have been troubled with intermittently changed permissions on
/dev/ttyS1, and have been searching for some cron job that might have
caused it.  Your comments about the pppd source gave me a clue.  I
thought that if pppd changes these permissions, then restores them on
exit, an abnormal exit could cause the problem.

     I just started ppp, then killed pppd with kill -9, and found that
the permissions on /dev/ttyS1 were now 640.  Also, /var/run/ppp1.pid
and /var/lock/LCK..ttyS1 were still in place, which would be
problematical for some modem operations.

     Why does pppd find it necessary to fiddle with these permissions
anyway?

Bob

--
   _