Re: AccelX on Debian (a summary)

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Jonas Bofjall wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
>
> > I used to run AccelX on Debian 1.3.1 with no problems.
> > I did a custom install and installed ONLY server and fonts.
>
> Did xdm work with your configuration?
>
> thanks
>   // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]

For those playing with accelX here is a brief summary of what it
does....(note this is by no means an all inclusive list - just the things
I've noticed)

-> replaces the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config (which was
originally a symlink to /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config in debian)

-> replaces the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc (which was
originally a symlink to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc)

-> replaces the file /usr/X11R6/bin/X (which is usually a symlink in most
distributions - but not debian.  It is best to put the debian file back
here and change /etc/X11/Xserver to reference /usr/X11R6/bin/Xaccel - then
your Xaccel does not need to be setuid)

-> replaces some files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults (such as XTerm)

-> I think it may also replace some apps (like xterm)

These will stuff up xdm, and your normal X configuration.  I found that
when I undid these changes it worked fine.

cheers,

Chris.