pppd flakines and hamm CDs

I finnally resolved my computer problems (thanx to everyone who
helped) by getting a nice new motherboard
Now I have reinstalled debian and have upgraded to hamm
before my crash I had a bo system, which I upgraded to hamm...
but I had set up PPP to work to my ISP under bo...
with this installation I run Autoup.sh and upgrade to hamm before
the first dselect of the bo install...so bo ppp never gets installed
I am using ppp_2.3.3-4.deb (from my hamm disk)
the whole setup has changed from what I remember and I can not get it to
work
I edited /etc/chatscripts/provider
with my ISP dialup number, username and password
I turned off auth, and gave pon a try
(I also tried invoking ppd by command line direct)
what happens is this:
I get 2 processes pppd and chat (obviously)
it sits there and never dials....
but if I "killall pppd" then as soon as pppd dies....I hear my modem
pick up
(and one time even started to dial)
it keeps happening like this...it just doesn't seem to want to work
(also BTW should I use /dev/cua0 or /dev/tttyS0 ? I have tried both to
no avail)
my plan is to remove the ppp package (already doen that actually)
and install the bo ppp (not done that yet)
I got tired ands went to bed b4 I tried
also...
Since my hamm CD is both poorly organized and pre-freeze
I thought I would make a new one today...anyone care to give me a tree
listing
of thec correct hamm CD directory structure (so I have a better idea how
to layout
my disk)
I am doing it by hand because disk space is a major concern for me
(unfortunately)
-Steve

--
-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison
between NT 4 and Linux =-