Re: finding leftovers

Marcus Brinkmann writes:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 1998 at 09:07:38AM -0700, Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella wrote:
>>
>> Many times, after upgrading/purging a package, the old/purged version
>> leaves some files behind it was not supposed to. Just to have an
>> example, after purging all the xemacs packages:

> mmmh. This shouldn't happen...

I know. But, as I always (ironically) say: "Not everything in the
world is perfect", and debian packages do leave traces every now and
then...

>> nr# du /etc/xemacs20/
>> 1       /etc/xemacs20/site-start.d
>> 2       /etc/xemacs20

> Could you try "dpkg -S /etc/xemacs/site-start.d"? It will tell you to which
> package this file belongsa (if it is installed).

$ dpkg -S /etc/xemacs20/site-start.d
dpkg: /etc/xemacs20/site-start.d not found.

Note, though, that:

1) this is a directory, and not a file!
2) I already purged xemacs* !

>> Is there a way to see what files are in my system that do not belong
>> to any installed package? It would probably be a script that would
>> inspect the installed packages and compare with the hd.

> Yes! A new utility came up recently. It is called "cruft" and available in
> slink, the new Debian unstable (probably ;). Check the list archiv of
> debian-devel, please.

I'll look for it. Thanks!

--
Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella                 Product Engineer
zorzella@conexware.com          http://www.conexware.com