Re: finding leftovers

On Thu, Apr 16, 1998 at 09:07:38AM -0700, Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella wrote:

> Many times, after upgrading/purging a package, the old/purged version
> leaves some files behind it was not supposed to. Just to have an
> example, after purging all the xemacs packages:

mmmh. This shouldn't happen...

> nr# du /etc/xemacs20/
> 1       /etc/xemacs20/site-start.d
> 2       /etc/xemacs20

Could you try "dpkg -S /etc/xemacs/site-start.d"? It will tell you to which
package this file belongsa (if it is installed).

> Is there a way to see what files are in my system that do not belong
> to any installed package? It would probably be a script that would
> inspect the installed packages and compare with the hd.

Yes! A new utility came up recently. It is called "cruft" and available in
slink, the new Debian unstable (probably ;). Check the list archiv of
debian-devel, please.

Marcus