Re: Sound problems

What type of soundcard do you have?
For many Soundblaster compatible types.... if you get all of its info
and recompile your kernel and turn on the built-in
kernel sound card drivers (and configure them) then you are all set
I have never had luck going that route but...I had a couple of
really weird cards
If youw ant the "Easy way out" check out
www.4front-tech.com they have the OSS/Linux sound card drivers
They work great and suport many cards. They have one advantage in being
comercial software (there is also OSS/Free...but it doesn't have
everything that OSS/Linux has)
They are able to get info and specs on cards from companies
that would require them not to releace the info
This means that many more cards are suported..and OSS/Linux works great
I (when my computer worked) used it with my Ensoniq AudioPCI with
great results
-Steve

Tristan Day wrote:

> I can play CDs through my headphone jack on the drive, but Debian doesn't
> like my sound card.

> Tkdesk always looks for one at /dev/audio and tells me that it doesn't
> exist. I know that /dev/audio doesn't exist but how do I get it there? I
> looked for a sound card driver package, and only found AWE ones and nas.
>
> nas tells me it can't connect to the audio server or something like that.
>
> I tried
>
> man nas
>
> which told me that nas is for playing sound over a network, so is this
> really what I want? All I want to do is:
> 1) Play CDs thru sound card
> 2) Listen to/Record .wav files
> 3) Listen to MIDI files
>
> Is there a package that I've missed that'll support my soundblaster 16
> compatible card?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tristan
>
> |******************************************************** |
> | This message was sent using                                 |
> | Micro$oft Express. - Don't blame me, mother       |
> | insists.
> |

> | "You're Not Our Brightest Year" - Mr Boon,           |
> | Headteacher of St Bede's, Cambridge                 |
> |

> |  "Tristan you're so annoying!!                                  |
> |  I'm sorry, you're not really,  you're very sweet"      |
> |  -Mrs Myers, Maths Teacher                                    |

-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4
and Linux =-
replacement: (ok I admit...I am bored..its a slow day at work)
[sjc@debian ~]$fortune -o
Anything more than 3 shakes is for fun.