Re: Setting transparent xterms

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Klas Lindberg wrote:

> > Last I heard, transparent backgrounds were not possible (but this may or
> > may not be true now, as I'm using X less and less...) But RxVT, which is
>
> Take a look at the enlightenment wm (www.enlightenment.org if I'm not
> mistaken). It implements just juch a feature and is a pretty pretty wm

I am sorry but it does not. This question is so common its even made it to
the Enlightenment FAQs! It is not possible with X (yet), without using
enourmous amount of computing (first getting screen, then transforming,
then using as a background pixmap). Using semi-transparent windows will
not be practically possible until we have a system using alpha-channels.
Berlin (berlin-consortium.org) will be such a system...

  // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]