RE: PPP dies early / some progress

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Erik van der Meulen wrote:
> > I have made some progress towards solving the problem. It
> > turns out that my machine insisted on having the IP address
> > for the session with my ISP, which is used as address for the
> > serial device on incoming connections. I have defined this in
> > my /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0. If I remove that entry, the connection
> > gets established. Now I have to find a way to use the serial interface
> > for both incoming and outgoing connections. Any ideas?
> Changing it manually:)
> Well, perhaps setting up something that will do this when you switch
> modes.
> If you remove that file, you can explicitly name the IP address when you
> start ppp for an incoming connection.
> ppp also has the ability to suggest an IP address, but to accept whatever
> the remote demands. An incoming box should listen to the suggestion,
> whereas your ISP will override it.
>
> > Unfortunately, after this not all is well. After pppd exchanges IP
> > addresses, it reports something like:
> > 	ppp not replacing default route to eth0[192.168.1.255]
> > This is my network board. So I am still not talking to the
> > world.
> Your box thinks that it can reach the world via your ethernet card.
> Shatter it's illusions.
> Somewhere in the bootscripts, you will have a "route add default gw" line
> which you don't want. Then you will have no default gateway, and ppp won't
> think twice about setting your ISP up as your gateway.

I'm using this file : ip-up and work

#!/bin/sh
#
# $Id: ip-up,v 1.1 1996/01/31 21:25:59 alvar Exp $
#
# This script is run by the pppd after the link is established.
# It should be used to add routes, set IP address, run the mailq
# etc.
#
# This script is called with the following arguments:
#    Arg  Name               Example
#    $1   Interface name     ppp0
#    $2   The tty            ttyS1
#    $3   The link speed     38400
#    $4   Local IP number    12.34.56.78
#    $5   Peer  IP number    12.34.56.99

#
# The  environment is cleared before executing this script
# so the path must be reset
#
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
export PATH

route -v del 127.0.0.4 sl0
route -v del default sl0
route -v add default gw $5 $1