Re: why debian?

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Brian Mays wrote:

> neutron@gimmie176.gimmie.tudelft.nl (Maarten Bezemer) wrote:
>
> > Someone told me there are far more rpm-packages available, and other
> > distributions also use rpm. What's true about that?
>
> The core set of RPM packages, what RedHat produces, is much smaller
> than Debian's main distribution.  While some other companies and groups
> distribute their software in RPM form, the majority of the RPM packages
> that you are hearing about are put together by RedHat users, and therefore
> can be of somewhat dubious quality.  Debian has a policy document to
...snip

While  Debian does have more packages, it also seems to stricter, in
terms of including packages into their core distribution, than
Red Hat.  There were several important (IMHO) packages
available on Red Hat cdroms that were not available on Debian cdroms.
These packages are available from their site in their directory
of non-free software, so the packages are still available, but
less convenient to access.

Also, IMHO, Red Hat has more included more documentation
on their system than Debian. In particular, I like the Red Hat
manual which comes in HTML format.

Red Hat supplies many of their administrative with a graphical
interface e.g. glint, control-panel which require X11. I much
prefer command line or vt100, since when I have problems  or
working over the net, I won't have X11 running.

I have both distributions installed, and by and large seem
to prefer Debian. Both are fine.

King Lee