Re: A few things about Debian Hamm

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Marco Anglesio wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:
> > I don't believe that is true....
> > I am using pine under hamm obn my pc here at work
>
> Yes, you and me both downloaded the .deb of pine (and pico, and
> pine-docs, probably). However, it's been removed from binary-i386. I'd
> like to know why it's only there in source form, if anyone can answer
> that.

This is becoming a FAQ.  The reason the binary pine was removed from the
archive is because the pine licence from uwash doesn't permit
redistribution of "derivative works", which includes the patched version
of pine that we had been mistakenly been distributing in binary form.
Pine sources are available on the archive in debian source format.  It is
reasonably easy to compile a binary package for your own use from that,
but we can't redistribute the binarys ourselves.

Many people have been migrating to mutt, which suffers none of pine's
non-freeness and seems to have some more features (and which is more
frequently updated).

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/