Re: why debian?

neutron@gimmie176.gimmie.tudelft.nl (Maarten Bezemer) wrote:

> Someone told me there are far more rpm-packages available, and other
> distributions also use rpm. What's true about that?

The core set of RPM packages, what RedHat produces, is much smaller
than Debian's main distribution.  While some other companies and groups
distribute their software in RPM form, the majority of the RPM packages
that you are hearing about are put together by RedHat users, and therefore
can be of somewhat dubious quality.  Debian has a policy document to
specify how things should be done (to avoid problems), and almost all
of Debian's packages (a few packages are looking for new maintainers)
are supported through its bug tracking system.

Brian