Re: why debian?

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Ian Stuart wrote:

> Chris de Weth wrote:
> > I was just wondering if anyone can tell me why so much people use Red
> > Hat linux?
> As a newbie to this arena, my impression is that RedHat has a better
> public profile.
>
> As we all know, public profiles & reality often differ...

I may add that red hat CD's are easier to find than debian ones (well in
France).

> > I'm thinking of going to use Linux at work, so security is quite
> > important. From a friend I just got this list address, and I don't know
> > where to ask this question to Red Hat users. Maybe someone can tell me
> > what distribution is better?
> >From my own experience (a portable using a PCMCIA network adapter),
>
> RedHat is easier to install initially (it's only 2 floppies as opposed
> to Debians 6+), however the updating system in debian (dselect) is _far_
> superior..

Just a correction : debian now only needs 1 floppy to install
if your CDrom is quite standard. If it is not the case, you will need 2
floppies (the rescue disk and the drivers disks which contain drivers for
all CDroms).

In my humble opinion, there is no great difference between installing a
debian or a red hat distribution, but upgrading a debian one is far
easier. Moreover a debian installation is able to install redhat packages,
the reverse is false.
So I would advise to use debian, and if you need something that can only
be found in redhat, you'll be able to install it without any problem.

Isabelle Perinelle
isabelle@esip.fdn.fr