Re: why debian?

>       There is no "better" distribution.  It is a matter of taste and style.
>I like slackware, but it has no package system.  :)  I find Debian to be a nice
>combination in between.  It has a good package system and does not seem to have
>as many bugs as redhat.  Although I could be wrong since red hat has a lot of
>patches.  Try them yourself and get a feel for it.
>

>Carroll Kong
>
>On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Chris de Weth wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was just wondering if anyone can tell me why so much people use Red
>> Hat linux? To me it seems that they have a far greater community to
>> support others questions.
>> I'm thinking of going to use Linux at work, so security is quite
>> important. From a friend I just got this list address, and I don't know
>> where to ask this question to Red Hat users. Maybe someone can tell me
>> what distribution is better?

Well, security is definitely prioritised a lot with Debian - one of the
first questions it asks you is whether you want to install shadow
passwords. I haven't had any real problems with my Debian 1.3 then 2.0
frozen systems - with that superb package system it all works fine.
However, Red Hat is supposedly a lot easier to use.

Graham Pople (graham@jalna.demon.co.uk)
SNES emulators at Emulation One (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/index.htm)
All emulators at E1 Newsletter (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/e1news.htm)