RE: Upgrading to hamm

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Angel Vicente Perez wrote:

> > Only on systems that have run 2.0.33.  All systems running 2.0.32 are
> > fine.  There are none of the problems that Red Hat has been having with
> > its 5.0 release.
>
> I'd like more info about kernel 2.0.33. We have a linux box running 2.0.33 and
> nearly all packets from hamm, and I afraid...

There are some rather severe problems with memory corruption.  Generally,
you will only see them on busy systems. Other problems include memory
leaks, filesystem problems and system hangs. There are also networking
issues. 2.0.33 is pretty bad. It DID introduce some hardware support that
other kernels did not have.

You are better off with 2.0.32 until 2.0.34 which I hope will be out
pretty soon. It is currently at pre7 or 8. See freshmeat for details on
where to find it if you want to build it.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org