Re: [OFF TOPIC] Linus Torvalds, the man of the century

> >   Voting for Linus Tolrvalds is not a good idea.  The man is not a Titan,
> > in any sense of the word... even less than Bill Gates.
> >
> >   Making such silly votes, is sure to disrubt the balance and help put
> > Bill Gates up on the list, or is *that* your intent? to make your
> > favourite maggot "Bill Gates" the Titan of the century? Do you have the
> > "hots" for the man?
> >
> >   People like Henry Ford, and Douglas McArthur are far greater Titans,
> > who are among those candidates people *should* spend their votes on.  Not
> > on anal jokes, just because they have the "hots" for'em.
> >
> Sorry nobody is a titan, and *that's* why such lists are silly.

Some people do some pretty darn spiffy things though.  The tendency to
'titanize' is common, particularly in the US.  It doesn't do much harm
really, and it's what people are conditioned to respond to.

> I have some headache on voting one person as figurehead of a community,
> where people all over the world are involved. It does not matter if they
> are called Linus, Richard or Bruce or ...

You've heard the one about life not being fair?  I think most everyone is
able to accept the fact that everyone involved will not be recognized
equally.  The developers in the earlier days must have realized that Linus
was getting by far the most press for all the work they were doing, but
that didn't stop them.  The idea is to improve Linus' visibility and
thereby improve the visibility of free software and the people who work on
it in general.

> > Everything and every vote you make has a side effect.
>
> Of course. Is Linus really "the mythical founder of free software"?

Everyone who becomes involved to any significant degree knows this is not
the case, but his contributions have been extremely significan and he was
in the right place at the right time (he got 'lucky').  I don't begrudge
him this.  Of course, I'm biased, having used the fruits of his labor (and
of all the developers) without being able to contribute much myself.  If I
had done massive amounts of development work I suppose I might feel
differently.

Britton Kerin