libc6 resolver(3) Behavior

	I've upgraded the Debian box on my desk to hamm, via
dists/frozen/*.  I'm finding that the libc6 resolver routines
(mis)behave differently than expected.  Basically, gethostbyname(3)
doesn't seem to want to sort IP addresses.

	The libc6 resolver routines are apparently controlled by
/etc/resolv.conf.  There's a "sortlist" directive according to the
man page, but I can't seem to get it to do anything.  This is a bit
annoying when you've got multi-homed NFS servers around and depend on
IP sorting to get the closest interface...

	Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks...

--
Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.edu>  http://www.rap.ucar.edu/staff/tres/
Research Applications Program   National Center for Atmospheric Research