Re: GIMP How is it?

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Art Lemasters wrote:

> Ben wrote:
> >    I saw the linux journals write-up on gimp, now i would like to ask the
> >    question, how does it stack up against commercial or established shareware
> >    products?
> >
> > It's as good as PhotoShop, and better than any shareware program.
>
>      It is huge, sophisticated, and it does many things, but trying to
> figure how to change a black or white background into a transparent one
> will be like wandering in a desert of documents for days.

It was my impression too :-(. I spent a few hours trying to find how
to make my scanned image darker or brighter, or how to adjust contrast,
there was really nothing about it in the info files.
(It seemed to me that such elementary operations should be located
somewhere in the main menu sytem...)
Finally I had to give up and switch to Image Magick... :-(.

					Wojtek Zabolotny
					wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl