Re: What is a block device name?

"Beth Lewis" <BethLewis@bigpond.com> writes:

> "Insert the CD_ROM and enter the block device name []:
>  Can someone tell me what it wants to know?

If you have a newish home computer, it's probably /dev/hd? where ? is
"b", "c" or "d".  Switch to the second console (Alt-F2) and run
`dmesg | more'.  There should be a line like:

    hdd: FX600T, ATAPI CDROM drive

which means the block device is "/dev/hdd".

For an older CD-ROM, such as a Sony CDU-33A, the block device is
something different (like /dev/sonycd in this case).

> What did I do wrong?

You weren't born psychic.  :-)

"[UNIX] appears to have the inside track on being the replacement for
  CP/M on the largest microcomputers (e.g. those based on 68000...)"