Re: how to cope with bad blocks (and off-topic: WD warranty policy)

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Wow, what shall I say?
>
> I installed the SeaGate Medalist 2122 (ST32122A) 2,1 GB just a couple of
> days ago, and am running the 2.0.33-5 kernel. I didn't have any trouble
> before installing the new drive. I got first bad blocks trouble yesterday.
> But I don't know if the SeaGate drive is one of the new drives you mention.
> This is what dmesg tells me:
>
> ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe800-0xe807
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe808-0xe80f
> hda: WDC AC21000H, 1033MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=525/64/63, DMA
> hdc: ST32122A, 2014MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=4092/16/63
> hdd: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5302TA, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
>
> Do you think this is a kernel bug? Gosh. I'm out of knowledge and experience
> here (and have to get some sleep). (BTW: atm all is okay, but I don't work
> with hda much. I installed Debian 2.0 fresh on hdc and am now moving).
>
> Good night good fellows,
> Marcus

I would suggest this:

If this is a "production" machine, try going back to 2.0.32 or, better, if
you can babysit it a bit in case of trouble, grab 2.0.34-pre7 and try
that. There are some (important) IDE fixes in .34 along with the proper
handling of some flags that DMA33 drives are using that Linux has, in the
past, not properly handled. I will be taking one machine back to 2.0.32 as
soon as I can get someone in the NOC to hit the reset button for me. I can
ping her but she is otherwise dead as a doornail.  She was stable over 6
months on 2.0.29.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org