Re: Debian 2, What will it Have

On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 05:42:18PM -0400, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > > i did have a question about Xfree, it is my understanding that x will not
> > > be free after a new version?
> >
> > X is going to split. There will be Open Group's X11R6.(>=4) which you can
> > still obtain free but can not distribute for money without buying a
> > License and there will be XFree86 which will remain GPL code for you to
>
> I am sorry, but I think that my correction is important: XFree86 will
> remain under old BSD-like license, NOT GPL. Making XFree86 GPL'ed would cause
> a majot disaster for Linux.

Actually I think your correction is irrelevant. The point is that
XFree86 will remain free, which was what the original poster was asking;
the details of which license are not needed. And I don't think the
continued anti-GPL doom and gloom on this list helps anybody;
please leave it in gnu.misc.discuss.

thanks,
hamish